Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Oscar Nominee Day: Last Year's Predictions, Yesterday's Predictions, & Thoughts

So today marks the best day of the year: the day the Academy releases their nominated films, actors, and filmmakers! It's better than the Oscars themselves. Too predictable. Here, I'm going to revisit my early predictions last March, who I predicted yesterday on my Twitter account, and who actually got the nominations.

BEST PICTURE
So last year, out of the 10 films I foresaw, only 2 were nominated today: War Horse and The Tree of Life. I actually don't think that's so bad! Yesterday, however, I predicted that the Academy would name 8 films (The Artist, The Descendants, Midnight in Paris, Hugo, The Tree of Life, The Help, War Horse, and Moneyball) - which they did - but they added Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close to the list as well.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm really happy about this group (and the new voting system). All are deserving films, but I am especially happy the Academy gave a nod to The Tree of Life which has been snubbed from several awards in the last weeks.

BEST DIRECTOR
From last year, the only director I predicted is Terrence Malick (thank God) and from yesterday, I predicted all five nominees: Terry, Alexander Payne, Michel Hazavinacius (I spelled that without key-studdering), Martin Scorcese, and Woody Allen. I'm really happy, once again, that The Tree of Life and it's uncanny visionary has some recognition coming from the Academy. It's also great to see so much love for Midnight in Paris, which has been building a great run in the last weeks before the announcement.

BEST ACTOR
Umm, so you know that guy that no one knows? That guy from the movie no one's seen? That guy that got NOMINATED FOR AN OSCAR TODAY? Yeah, I went all OakStreet on Oscar's ass and predicted Damian Bichir in A Better Life - WHAT. It's a damn shame (pun) Michael Fassbender was snubbed for this upset, and I'm not too sure Gary Oldman should be in the top 5, but that's how these things go.

From last March, I'd give myself a 1/2 point for predicting Brad Pitt, but for the wrong movie (I said The Tree of Life instead of Moneyball). The other nominees include the leading contenders for the race: George Clooney for The Descendants and Jean Dujardin for The Artist. I'm really hoping Dujardin gets it and he's really gotta hope for a miracle competing against the ever-popular Clooney.

BEST ACTRESS
While I am 4/5 in this category from yesterday's predictions, I was 3/5 from March! I foresaw Rooney Mara, Meryl Streep, and Michelle Williams all to be getting the happy phone calls this morning. TEN MONTHS AGO. That's pretty effing incredible.

Viola Davis for The Help and my favorite, Glenn Close for Albert Nobbs, round off the pack. Like Meryl said at the Globes, this year has had so many great performances by females that anyone, in a different year, would've won. Tilda (for the third year in a row, in my opinion) was snubbed a nomination, but Rooney made her way in, which I'm fine with.

Hold it! I'm calling a 3.5/5 prediction from last March! I thought Viola Davis would be in the Supporting Category for The Help. I was on it.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Yeah, so last year I have no wins to proclaim in this category, and I did pretty bad last night with only 3/5 (Christopher Plummer, Kenneth Branagh, and Jonah Hill). A slight surprise goes to Nick Nolte for Warrior and an extremely suprising arrival for Max von Sydow in Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close.

But please, please, please check out the recent tweets of snubbee's Albert Brooks and Patton Oswalt. Oswalt devotes nearly 10 tweets to an imaginary bar hop in which he invites Brooks to join him and other snubbees to drink and be debaucherous.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
What was I thinking predicting two actresses who can't even drive legally? That was last March, but yesterday I scored a perfect 5/5 for the supporting ladies: Octavia Spencer and Jessica Chastain for The Help, Melissa McCarthy in Bridesmaids, Janet McTeer in Albert Nobbs and Berenice Bejo in The Artist. I'm liking this list, but I'll LOVE it if Chastain takes home the naked man in a month.

No comments:

Total Pageviews