Thursday, January 22, 2009

Oscar Nominations - Reactions and My Batting Average

The Academy Awards let loose their ever-royal list of nominations today. Here's how well I predicted and what I think of the actual nods:

Best Motion Picture of the Year
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Frost/Nixon
Milk
The Reader
Slumdog Millionaire

(I went with "The Wrestler" instead of "F/N" because I was very disappointed in the nominated film. I should have gone with my gut but I couldn't predict it out of spite! And I'm very, very, very proud that I am the only person in the universe who predicted that "The Reader" would make it.)
Grade: 4/5


Achievement in Directing
David Fincher, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Ron Howard, Frost/Nixon
Gus Van Sant, Milk
Stephen Daldry, The Reader
Danny Boyle, Slumdog Millionaire
(I shouldn't have doubted Van Sant - I'm sorry Jennie! - but Howard? C'mon. I picked Nolan for "The Dark Knight" and Aronofsky for "The Wrestler" instead. Oh well. And once again, "The Reader" pulls ahead!)
Grade: 3/5


Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role
Richard Jenkins, The Visitor
Frank Langella, Frost/Nixon
Sean Penn, Milk
Brad Pitt, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Mickey Rourke, The Wrestler
(I expected these three and called that I would have a perfect prediction in this category - and I was right!)
Grade: 5/5


Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role
Josh Brolin, Milk
Robert Downey Jr., Tropic Thunder
Philip Seymour Hoffman, Doubt
Heath Ledger, The Dark Knight

Michael Shannon, Revolutionary Road
(I picked Franco instead of Brolin in hopes that the Academy realized who was better in the film - but I was wrong. Then I went with Patel instead of Shannon. My mistake.)
Grade: 3/5


Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role
Anne Hathaway, Rachel Getting Married
Angelina Jolie, Changeling
Melissa Leo, Frozen River
Meryl Streep, Doubt
Kate Winslet, The Reader
(Surprises in this category! I only predicted Hathaway and Streep correctly. Sally Hawkins took Jolie's place from last year in the snub category, they pulled a Naomi Watts in "21 Grams" on Kate by putting "The Reader" as Best Actress - and rightfully so - and then Leo snuck into the five.)
Grade: 2/5


Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role
Amy Adams, Doubt
Penélope Cruz, Vicky Cristina Barcelona
Viola Davis, Doubt

Taraji P. Henson, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Marisa Tomei, The Wrestler
(Thank God Winslet is going to win Best Actress and no in this category; now it's anyone's trophy, though I hope for Adams or Cruz to win. I predicted four, and then Henson took Winslet's old spot. Good for her.)
Grade: 4/5


My Average: 70%
Jennie's Average: 76.6% - WINNER!

1 comment:

Jennie said...

Props on The Reader!
Also, you need to post your actor / actress lists asap!!!

Total Pageviews